By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The Images NewsThe Images News
Aa
  • Home
  • Complete Woman
  • Culture
  • Election
  • Agriculture
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Metro News
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • Event
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • World News
Reading: Tinubu explains removal of subsidy on petrol
Share
Aa
The Images NewsThe Images News
  • Election
  • Entertainment
  • Event
  • Culture
Search
  • Home
  • Complete Woman
  • Religion
  • Metro News
  • Politics
  • World News
Follow US
The Images News > The Matter > Tinubu explains removal of subsidy on petrol
The Matter

Tinubu explains removal of subsidy on petrol

The Editor
Last updated: 2024/02/27 at 3:42 PM
Published February 27, 2024 893 Views
Share
SHARE

Tinubu explains removal of subsidy on petrol

 

President Bola Tinubu explained on Tuesday that the decision taken to remove subsidy on petrol was a challenging one but necessary to ensure a transparent and accountable energy sector.

The President, who spoke at the opening of the 2024 Nigeria International Energy Summit, NIES, in Abuja, acknowledged that the decision has led to hardship, especially amongst low-income earners, assuring that eventually the economy will improve and the benefits will manifest.

Represented by the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, Tinubu said energy security was a priority for his administration.

He said: The petroleum subsidy has, over the years, strained our economic resources, leading to inefficiencies and, most importantly, hindering our ability to invest in critical areas of energy security.

“By removing the subsidy, we are creating a more transparent and accountable energy sector. The funds that were previously allocated to subsidizing petroleum products are now redirected towards developing and upgrading our energy and other social infrastructure.

“Furthermore, the removal of the subsidy has encouraged further private sector participation in the energy industry, with the potential to attract more local and international investors and foster innovation and competition that will drive down costs and improve the overall efficiency of our energy sector.”

Acknowledging the hardship caused by the decision, the President said: “I am acutely aware of the immediate impact this decision may have had on our citizens, especially those with lower incomes.

Therefore, in parallel with the subsidy removal, my administration is committed to implementing social intervention programmes to mitigate the short-term effects on vulnerable populations. These programmes will ensure that the burden of subsidy removal is shared equitably and that the most vulnerable among us are protected.

“The decision to remove the petroleum subsidy is not an easy one, but it is a necessary one for the long-term energy security and economic prosperity of our beloved nation. I call upon all stakeholders, including industry experts, policymakers, and the general public, to engage in constructive dialogue and collaboration as we navigate these challenging but transformative times.

You Might Also Like

NEC Monitoring Team Commends Ondo’s Community-Based Projects, Urges More Private Sector Partnerships

Court rulings may disrupt 2027 elections – INEC raises alarm

Xenophobic attacks: First batch of repatriated Nigerians ‘ll arrive Thursday – FG

No one can stop me from visiting any part of Nigeria – Gumi

Nigeria, Italy seal $15bn deal to boost education financing

The Editor February 27, 2024
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
Share
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Popular News
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Baytur-Rahman Concept School sends forth pupils for higher learning

The Editor The Editor July 26, 2023
Ramadan: Always thank God, Muslims with disabilities urged
Fraud: Ondo Farmers Expel Evangelist Oyedele as Trustee
NECO releases 2025 BECE results, set resit exams for July 23-24
Aiyedatiwa’s Women Agenda, a Golden Opportunity —Alhaja Hon. F.I Gidado
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Connect with us

Hot News
Osun Decides: Adeleke wins with 66,252 Votes
Miracle Rescue: Woman Survives 36 Hours Beneath Colombia Earthquake Rubble
IFAD LIFE -ND Project Begins Digital Screening /Recruitment of New Incubatees in Ondo
TMC, ADSN Urge Couples to Build Ideal Muslim Homes Through Faith, Counselling
Faith, Honour and Service Take Centre Stage as Akure North FOMWAN Holds Maiden Get-Together

About US

A unique medium, working in a unique way, voicing for the voiceless as a way of empowering people. Our hardworking team brings news for you and provide the best medium. Our support is the best for everyone and client. It is not an overstatement seeking for more informative news from the pages of our juicy blog.
Top Categories
  • Home
  • Complete Woman
  • Religion
  • Metro News
  • Politics
  • World News

Subscribe US

The Images NewsThe Images News

© TheimagesNews. All Rights Reserved.- D2GLOBAL

Removed from reading list

Undo
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?